Despite not knowing much about the rest of Nintendo’s 2020 (aside from Pikmin 3 Deluxe being announced for October), Nintendo’s fiscal briefing reveals that the hybrid console is still selling gangbusters. The Switch has sold a total of 61.44 million units since its launch back in March 2017, being less than half a million units shy of the Famicom/NES which totalled at 61.91 million.
The Nintendo Switch has also sold a total of 406.67 million software units, outselling the Nintendo 3DS software lineup which is currently 384.07 million units. On top of that, Animal Crossing: New Horizons has skyrocketed to second spot on the Nintendo’s best selling Switch game list, totalling at 22.40 million copies sold, only being outsold by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which launched almost two years prior. Here is the full list:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 26.74 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 22.40 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 19.99 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 18.60 million
- Pokemon Sword/Shield – 18.22 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 18.06 million
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 12.20 million
- Super Mario Party – 10.94 million
- Splatoon 2 – 10.71 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 7.44 million
- Ring Fit Adventure – 3.90 million
- Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition – 1.32 million
- Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 1.03 million
It’s great to see both Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and Clubhouse Games both crack the one million mark. Pokemon Sword and Shield are also the best selling Pokemon game in over 20 years and is the third best selling Pokemon game of all time.