For this week’s Switch Kickstarter Project of the Week, we will be looking at Jakefriend's Scrabdackle. The game is slated to release in February 2022 on PC, Mac and Linux. However in regards to a Nintendo Switch port, the Kickstarter campaign says "I'd approach that [consoles] with a publisher's support". So, here that publishers?
Here's the overview:
You've never left the wizard academy before, but today you were knocked out the window! As a novice stranded in an unfamiliar world, undertake a journey to find your way back home. Along the way, get to know the land of Scrabdackle for the first time – and the impact wizardkind has unknowingly had upon it.
Scrabdackle is a hand-drawn action/adventure game about going exploring, with non-linear progression and a unique mix of skill-based challenge and accessible gameplay. It features a vast, intricate overworld, tight and responsive combat, cheeky banter, and pages of lore to discover – all under a coat of playful charm.
You'll discover secrets, meet the land’s curious inhabitants, master new spells, study magical creatures, and overcome challenging bosses.
Inspired by classics like Link's Awakening, An Untitled Story, and Hollow Knight, Scrabdackle is a project designed, animated, programmed, and scored by one developer wanting to make a world worth getting lost in.
- Expansive, non-linear world allows for high replayability. The map can be navigated in any order on any playthrough. Try a different route every time!
- Secret characters, areas, storylines and oddities hidden where you least expect them. The more you explore, the more you’ll be rewarded with unexpected and delightful encounters.
- Tough-but-fair bosses with tight, challenging combat. With some practice, you can walk away from any fight unscathed. Or, toggle assist settings to define your own challenge.
- Unique storybook visual style made with hand-drawn line art and a pixelated brush.
- Optional dialogue that doesn’t take control away from the player. Just walk away mid-conversation, and characters will wave you off.
- Fill out your official wizardly notebook by scrying new creatures and documenting your findings! Review your field logs any time to see the world in closer detail!
- Charming original soundtrack with new tracks for every corner of the world.
- Tons of spells and relics to master. Swap magic powers on the fly to face any type of challenge any way you want!
This game requires CA$24,000 and it is currently sitting at CA$15,018.04 after 173 backers with 25 days still remaining. If you’d like to support the development of this game, click the link below to visit the Kickstarter page.
Thank you to our $5 and up Patreon Backers for their ongoing support:
- Andrew Caluzzi (Inca Studios / Camped Out!)
- Bel Cubitt
- Jon Crispe
- Matthew Sandstrom