Heroes of Hammerwatch is a procedurally-generated dungeon crawler, having you battle hordes of enemies as you work your way to the very top of the Forsaken Spire. Go in, grab all the loot you can find and make sure to bring it back up to the surface before you die because in the mines, your gold will be lost forever.
- Combat is smooth and intuitive.
- There are a lot of upgrades and progression to keep you playing for hours on end.
- You can always be on the lookout for secret rooms.
- Taking down hordes of enemies single-handedly is a lot of fun.
- Heroes of Hammerwatch thrives online with tactful enemy scaling, loot sharing and pace adjustments.
- Ultimate Edition includes all DLC for many hours of gameplay.
- The game has some charming spritework,
- As well as fun music to bop your head to.
Enjoying our Heroes of Hammerwatch Switch review (Quick) so far? Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more Nintendo Switch content. Also, please consider supporting us on Patreon so that we can continue to do what we love doing.
- Some tutorial aspects aren’t explained well, such as knowing which items and upgrades are temporary or permanent.
- There are no level indicators to advise if you’re going into an area you’re not ready for.
- The occasional instant kill can make you feel cheated.
- No rumble at all.
- Difficult to play in handheld mode due to the sprites being so small.
- Music can get repetitive.
Final Score: 75%
With a wide variety of classes and a huge array of upgrades to work toward, Heroes of Hammerwatch is a great investment for a player to sink their teeth into. Whilst repeatedly dying and trekking through the same dungeons can get boring after a while, the upgrade system is so satisfying that you’ll find yourself getting higher and higher with each run. Now with all of the expansions so readily available, there’s much more to delve into and if you get some friends together online for a couple nights, you may well find yourself playing until the sun rises.
Thank you for checking out our Heroes of Hammerwatch: Ultimate Edition Switch review (Quick), thank you to Blitworks for providing the review code and thank you to our $5 and up Patreon Backer for their ongoing support:
- Andrew Caluzzi (Inca Studios / Camped Out!)
- Belinda Cubitt
- Jon Crispe