For this week’s Switch Kickstarter Project of the Week, we will be looking at Elden Pixels’ Alwa’s Legacy. The game is slated to release in April 2020 on PC, GOG and all consoles (including Nintendo Switch). Here’s the overview:
Alwa’s Legacy is a modern retro game full of dangerous dungeons, magical items and ancient secrets. By upgrading your magic, any way forward is right in this non-linear adventure game full of exploration.
Alwa’s Legacy is set in the world of Alwa and the game will start with the heroine Zoe waking up in a strange land. She doesn’t know where she is and she doesn’t know what land this is but for some strange reason everyone and everything seems very familiar. It’s like she’s been here before, but can’t remember. Why is this?
Suddenly a figure appears, an old lady almost struggling to walk comes up and talks to Zoe. Her voice is strong and she says: “Zoe, you have been sent here to save us. You might not yet realize it but you are strong and you’ll grow to be the hero we need. Quickly, make your way to the Town of Westwood and come find me. There I’ll share more…”
In Alwa’s Legacy you use your magic staff to move across the land, you’ll solve puzzles, traverse through dangerous dungeons and defeat many enemies along your journey to save the land of Alwa. We have striven to create a main protagonist that’s relatable, strong and with great movement skills. It’s a breeze to swiftly make your way through the game. Exploration and freedom are other design pillars we had and in Alwa’s Legacy you’ll find an adventure that’s fun to play, exciting to explore and discoverable in your own way!
Customize how you play – With our upgrade system you can choose how you want to play – Explorative, offensive or strategic. It’s your choice!
Exploration is rewarded – Don’t leave any stone unturned, the world of Alwa is filled with secrets and finding them requires you to explore and solve puzzles.
A non-linear experience – Combining exploration and different item upgrades allows you to find your own way through this adventure.
Looks and sounds amazing – Enjoy crisp pixel-art combined with modern effects as well as a soundtrack made by chiptune extraordinaire RushJet1.
A challenge awaits – Quick reflexes are needed to navigate through the many challenging rooms and with easy-to-change settings anyone can enjoy Alwa’s Legacy.
- An interconnected world with many branching paths (We guess some would call it a Metroidvania)
- Massive background parallax artwork by pixel artist Vierbit
- Many dungeons that each has a unique look and design and of course lots of bosses (attack their weak spots)
- A skill tree that would put any RPG to shame (Not really, but we have 16 upgrades)
- Chip music soundtrack with 25 tracks made by chip artist RushJet1(1001 Spikes and PewDiePie’s Legend of the Brofist etc.)
- Modern sound design by Joel Bille (Ghost Giant and Fe by Zoink Games/Electronic Arts)
- Full controller support and layout for all common controllers
- Accessibility and gameplay settings to easily change up the difficulty level
- A talking pig NPC (pettable of course)
I never played Alwa’s Awakening but after seeing its sequel, I quickly went to the eShop and added in to my watchlist. Alwa’s Legacy looks like it takes everything from the original and improves upon every aspect to the point where it shows just how much love and care has gone into this sequel. From the gorgeous spritework to the intricate puzzles, Alwa’s Legacy looks like yet another game to add to that watchlist.
Alwa’s Legacy requires SEK 250,000 and is currently sitting at SEK 140,699 after 398 backers with 24 days remaining. So if you’d like to support the development of this game and secure yourself a copy, click the link below.
Thank you to our $5 and up Patreon Backers for their ongoing support:
- Andrew Caluzzi (Inca Studios / Camped Out!)
- Belinda Cubitt